Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Its almost June??



I can’t believe it’s almost June. Where did the year go? Oh yes, it went into my store. I was finally able to open Sadie Mac’s. It’s been my life since about January. It was a less than slow process. I wish I had blogged more or kept great notes about it. I’m sure there are some parts that won’t leave my memory. There are some moments that I would rather lose before the end of the year. It’s all a learning experience and a time to grow.

The process to get my certificate of occupancy felt like a long journey. Even once I had it in my hand, I kept thinking that someone would come take it back. Even now I look at it as it hangs on the wall. It’s just a small, thin piece of paper, but it symbolizes so much.



I started this adventure back in the fall. I decided to sell some jewelry during the holidays. I love jewelry and it gave me an excuse to have an open house. I enjoyed it so much that I started thinking about it more and more. I’ve always wanted a store front. I just couldn’t let it leave my mind. I knew I needed to find a job and use the college degree that I worked so hard for just 3 years ago. Nothing fit right when it came to a job. I kept thinking of ideas but they didn’t work for me. I decided to look into a store.

My friend, Stephanie, called me on a Wednesday to let me know that she saw some retail space in the McDonough Square. I had looked a few times but it was either too large or not a good location. I decided to just walk through the square. I walked up to Clay Plaza. I had always been fascinated with the building. It has rich history and you can feel it when you enter the building.

The Clay Plaza was originally a movie theater. It was built by the Clay family. My husband’s grandmother would play in it as a child. She was best friends with Mr. Clay’s daughter. I had heard stories of the building but had never been in. I got a tour of the building that day. I met my mom and we went to look at the space. I was trying to keep costs low so I went to look at the smaller spaces. When I walked into my space though, I just knew it was it! It had a street/sidewalk entrance and two levels of floor. It was much more than I wanted to spend, but I knew it was perfect.

We started praying about this space and if it was something I needed to do. Everyone was very skeptical about it. I heard more than once that it was a “huge undertaking, not the right time, or a list of things about the economy.” I heard them, but I knew what I needed to do. I started the process of opening the business.

I knew if I didn’t do it now then I would always make an excuse. There would be a reason or an excuse as to why that I should wait. I decided that I’ve got this one shot and I had better take it.

I started with a blank page much like the one I started to write this. I took a little bit of information here and there. I gathered my thoughts and now I have a full page. I got my LLC to start the process. It was a long journey of certificates of occupancy, business licenses, slammed doors, rude people, happy moments, scary moments, and more emotions than I ever dreamed could happen.



I had many roadblocks or things that would stop most people. I had moments that I thought maybe I was insane. I had other moments that will stay with me. The moment of holding that certificate of occupancy and knowing everything was coming together. The thrill I felt when I unlocked my store for the first time or when I saw my sign in place. I can’t forget the moment that I saw my first inventory shipment sitting at the front door. I’ve never taken so many pictures of cardboard boxes! There have been moments when I’ve been talked to like I’m dirt. There are actually men (that have managed to live) out there that still believe women are beneath them. I’ve had two men talk to me like I was a child or someone they could intimidate. I’ve been mad but then I’ve been empowered. It’s a strange emotion that takes over you when you are pushed against a wall.



I’ve worked hard for this. I sit here and look around. I don’t just see pretty displays. I see the display that my dad nailed his finger while helping me put it up. I see constant reminders that my husband loves me very much. He supports me in all that I do. I see things that he’s done in the shop to help me. I see my Granddad’s watering can that waters my flowers everyday. I see the step that my nephew is forbidden to climb each time he comes. I see the displays that my mom stayed many hours helping me arrange. I see the computer program that my friend, Tim, has spent many hours working and building for me. I see the tea cart that was in my Mimi and Granddaddy’s house. I see a logo that my cousin, Richard designed for me. I see inventory that friends like Stephanie helped me order for the past several months. I feel strong as I think of MANY friends that have encouraged me and prayed for me for the last several months. My heart smiles when I think about my aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family that have been supporting me along the way. I see the many things that God put into place and has allowed me to have all this!




I have my rollercoaster moments when I start thinking that I’m crazy! Then I stop and realize that not many people have all those moments! No one can take them away from me. These experiences were hard and some were easy. I hope I can use them to help the next person that wanders in to see retail space. I hope the moments that were hard can be a constant reminder that it took all I had but at least I had it to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment